Subtraction Calculation Methods
Calculations Policy for Subtraction
Please find below our Calculations Policy for Subtraction. You can increase the size of the text by using the magnifying glass icon/slide button at the top of the document or you download this document by clicking on 'download' below.
Please find below our most recent parent curriculum presentation
on our approach to the teaching of subtraction in maths
Please click on the subtraction videos below to find out about the calculation methods we use for subtraction. I am sure you will agree that the pupils explain the methods really well!
1. Mental Methods - Using Counting on to Subtract
2. Using Round and Adjust to Subtract
3. Expanded Column Subtraction
4. Using the Compact Method to Subtract - borrowing from the 10s, 100s and 1000s
5. Using the Compact Method to Subtract - 5 digit numbers and very large numbers
6. Compact Subtraction using Decimals
Please click here for a quick link to our Addition Calculation Methods page. Here you will find the Addition Calculation Policy and videos that explain all the methods taught through Key Stage 2.
Please click here for a quick link to our Multiplication Calculation Methods page. Here you will find the Multiplication Calculation Policy and videos that explain all the methods taught through Key Stage 2.